Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer


           

I really enjoyed this book. It is written as a journal entry and I think it was very different. It is a very strong opening to this trilogy and I am very interested to see where it goes. I also do like that the books were released so close together. While I am not reading them as they are coming out, if I had known about the series then I definitely would have been more inclined to read it. I usually wait for a chunk of books in a series to be out since I hate waiting a year in between books.
            This book really makes you think and how the narrator sees the world and comments on it is very interesting and well done. Vandermeer also was able to write very strong and compelling characters. I loved the use of memory as a way to learn more about our narrator and the connection we feel towards her. In this type of book it did not bother me that none of the characters had names, but where referred to by their role in the group. I think that added to the mystery and danger of the mission and was an interesting psychological feature to the book.
             Another thing I really enjoyed was his writing style. It was very easy to read and was fast paced. I never felt like this book lagged or was slow. It was a fast paced book and he unraveled just enough mystery that you really wanted to keep going so you could find out more.
             I would highly recommend this book if you are looking for something new. It was a delightful read. It also is pretty short which is great for the first book in a series. I know the other two are different and I actually look forward to see the other side of the world and exploring more of Vandermeer's work.


No comments:

Post a Comment