Total Pageviews

Friday, March 31, 2017

Reading with a newborn

I had read a lot of different articles about how people's reading lives changed once they had a baby. I read a lot and that is how I decompress and relax. So it was one of the things I was worried about when I was pregnant. Will I have time to read? Will I loose that part of me for a while? Now there are certain hobbies or things that we love that I in our eyes defines who we are. Being a reader is a huge part of my identity, always has been. But I did find out a couple things. When my daughter was born I got a lot of reading time in. Newborns sleep a lot. So I was able to read here and there while she slept...when I wasn't sleeping. Now that she is almost 4 months old it is a bit trickier but still possible. I found that reading on my tablet or a paperback book is easiest. I have read tons of graphic novels because those a re really easy to stop and go for me. They are also quicker to read. So I have been enjoying that. I have been reading graphic novels on my Ipad to make it easier. But now that my daughter is starting to take more interest in my screens I would prefer not to read so much on the tablet if I am holding her or she is watching me. Right now I am trying to read a hardcover book and I find those are the hardest to read with a baby in your arms. Another great way to get reading time in with a baby is to listen to audiobooks. That is a great way to multitask. I like to listen to audiobooks when we go for our walks. Baby falls asleep and I get some exercise and listen to my book. So the one thing I have discovered is if it is important to you then you will find the time. It is only a matter of time management. And that includes bringing my daughter into it. When I am reading to her I count that as reading time. It is something I love that I am sharing with her and hopefully she will love books as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment