Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Book Hooks

This school year I have been using SEM-R (School Wide Enrichment Model for Reading) in my classroom. I have had to modify it since I teach middle school. The model is broken into three different phases. Phase 1: Exposure: Book Hooks, Phase 2: Supported Independent Reading, and Phase 3: Interest and choice. What I like about this is it lines up perfectly with the 40 Book Challenge I do each year. It also allows the students freedom to select what they are interested in reading. The first phase is to do a book hook. These have been going really well this year. The kids love them and look forward to them each week. What I do is read 5-8 pages of a book but you can read how much or how little as you'd like. Then I model the questions and strategies we will be using in class. Either in differect instruction or the questions they will be using later in the week in phase two. I have also used them to review concepts and strategies. Two of the most popular books I have used so far are Framed by James Ponti and The Countdown Conspiracy by Katie Slivensky. When I do a book hook it exposes them to different genres and books they may not encounter on thier own. Everytime I do a book hook that book flies off my shelves. Even if you don't do the other phases, book hooks are a great addition to a classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment