Total Pageviews

Friday, January 10, 2014

The Alchemist and Veronika Decides to Die

After posting last nights post I started think about what I was going to post about tonight. I started thinking about my last post and decided to talk about the two books I have read by Paulo Coelho. he has written some of my favorite books. I highly recommend his books. Of course I may be biased because I am border line fan girl. The first one I read was The Alchemist. I actually listened to the audio book. It is narrated by Jeremy Irons, which is delightful I must say. I actually have a copy of the book and the graphic novel version. It is a story about a shepherd boy who is searching for his personal legend. It is an interesting story of finding out who you are and what you want. This book is appropriate for all audiences.

The second book is Veronika Decides to Die. This book is amazing. It does have some adult content in it abd is not recommended for younger readers. It is the story of a girl who tries to commit suicide and her time in a hospital following the incident.  I found this book very engaging and the language he uses is lovely. This book has also been made into a movie starring Sarah Michelle Geller. I haven't seen the movie yet but it is high on my to do list. The best way to describe the book is hauntingly beautiful.  It is about taking risks and chances and not being afraid to make changes. It also shows the power of treasuring life and what you have in front of you. That sometimes what we think is the end of our journey is simply a new beginning and a chance to explore something new, no matter how little time we may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment