Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Kiss of Broken Glass by Madeleine Kuderick

Book Review: Kiss of Broken Glass by Madeleine Kuderick I am always interested in books that are written in verse. Poetry books are one of my favorite genres, whether they are a collection of verse or a novel written in verse. So when I first heard about this book I was very excited to pick it up. This is the story of Kenna, who is a girl addicted to cutting. The poems start right after she is caught cutting herself at school and her 72 hours in a psych ward after being Baker Acted. She tells us about the other kids that are in there and why some of them are there. I greatly enjoyed this book. It is a good look at the thought process someone would go through. How she see the world and how she comes to terms with her problem. This book is beautifully crafted and very engaging. I think is important to bring up the issue of self harm in fiction so students have access to what to look for and how to get help if they need it. I think kids need to be aware of what is going on and this is an issue that we are dealing with in schools. I hope that Madeleine Kuderick writes a follow up book to this one. I would love to see how Kenna deals with her addiction once she gets home and is dealing with everyday life again. The other kids in this book also felt real and interesting. I can't wait to see what else comes from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment