Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 16, 2015

Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

Go Set a Watchman (To Kill a Mockingbird, #2)Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I give this book 4.5 stars. How you approach this book is very important; I would not approach it as a sequel to TKAM. That is not how this book was written. I went into this book with the understanding that it was the source material for TKAM. So while it is fine to take it as a sequel you have to keep in mind that she wrote this one first. It almost felt like a parallel universe. With that being said I loved it. I love her writing style and how she presents her characters. I think that Go Set a Watchman is a realistic view of the world Scout lived in and TKAM is that of someone looking back on their childhood and reflecting on their father. Most children do not perceive the realities of their childhoods, because they are learning so much at one time and are sheltered from that world to a point. The Atticus in this book is the same man from the other, but he comes off as more of a person as opposed to the unobtainable expectation. This book deals with issues we are still dealing with today and helps us realize it is a good thing to reevaluate our surroundings and our own beliefs. I also think it is very important to take into account when she wrote this book. You need to realize where Harper Lee is coming from and the experiences she is writing from. I highly recommend reading this book. I also warn the reader to take into account when it was written and that it is the novel the inspired TKAM.

Original post: I am torn between. 4 and a 5 star rating. I have a lot of thoughts about this book. So a more in depth review will be coming once I have processed my thoughts.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment