Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Jennifer St. Giles, Mark Henry, and Susan Kearney....Fun at Dragon Con

News: The release date for Lisa Klepas's new book, Tempt me at Twilight, is Semptember 22nd according to Amazon right now. So that is very exciting.

Last weekend I attended a convention in Atlanta. Dragon-Con is a huge gathering of people and it was very interesting and a lot of fun. There were not as many authors there as I was hoping to encounter, but the is ok. So a run down of the book adventures in Georgia is the theme of todays blog.

First I did meet Jennifer St. Giles, who I had the honor of meeting at the Romance convention I had attended in May. I had bought her first book, Touch a Dark Wolf, which I am reading now. I spoke with her for a few moments and bought the next four books in the series. So right now I am planning on reading those four books next. She was very nice and I look forward to reading her books and meeting her again at some point. Her website is http://www.jenniferstgiles.com/ if you are intersted in learning more about his author.

My friends and I also attended a reading from Mark Henry. The reading was a lot of fun and I am interested in reading his books. He has a wonderful righting style and form of story telling. The first book in the series is Happy Hour of the Damned. He writes urban fantasy about the supernatural such as zombies, vampires, ect. Except he has a different twist on them, which I got from the reading he gave from his 3rd book in the series. I am excited about reading his books and will soon review them here. His web site is http://www.markhenry.us/ and he is also on twitter http://twitter.com/mark_henry so he is an interesting person, but not for the faint of heart or easily offended....but I got a giant kick out of him. Urban fiction is a newer area I am getting into, which I will discuss another example in a moment.

I did meet another author at Dragon Con and that was Susan Kearney. I bought her first book in a series entitled Lucan it is part of the Pendragon Legacy. The author was very nice and after taling to her I was interested about her books. Her website is http://www.susankearney.com/.

And finally there was a Charlene Harris panel which I did not attend, but a friend did and she said it was fantastic. It was also much more crowded then they thought it would be. So I hope more author will be included in following years. Especially since I do not tend to read sci-fi it would be a good way to meet new authors and discover some great adventures.

I just finished Eve of Chaos by S.J. Day which is the third book in her Marked series. So next post will be reviews and thoughts on those three books. This is also a romp in urban fiction, which I am actually greatly enjoying and I really hope she writes more in this series.

Have a nice night.

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking today about Mrs. Harris and her vamps that she has in her southern vampire series and after hearing her speak I realized why it is I enjoy her vampire books the most out of all that are out there. It is because out of them all whether it be "Twilight", "Vampire Diaries" or "How to Date the Undead" the Sookie Stackhouse novels actual have the most "true to form" as far as the general vampire lure goes. I believe hers are the only ones which stay true to form about the no sunlight clause as well as the silver harming them. She was a joy to hear talk about her books and I really look forward to reading more of the Sookie Stackhouse novels:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree if you comparing to say Dracula. But Dracula is a combination of all different "vampire" lore that the author researched. So I am open to authors playing with what a vampire is and such...I just wish some authors would do a better job maybe. I really did enjoy Dead until Dark by Harris. She has a more classic vampire which I like. And some other series I have read have that more classic vampire but plays with it more but still keeps the basis of what it is. So when they totally change the idea of a vampire they are playing with fire...or stakes in some cases.....hmmm a certain vampire comes to mind whom I would love to stake through the heart.

    ReplyDelete